Psychologist, Psychiatrist, Counsellor, Therapist – What’s the Difference? And why is it important?

The differences between mental health providers can be confusing and it can be difficult to know which one is right for you or even who is a qualified professional. Click on the link below for an excellent resource that answers all your questions about counsellors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and how to ensure that you can trust that your chosen individual is trained and qualified for that delicate and important job.  


Here is quick reference table that summarizes some common questions.  


(Table from:

At Upper Island Counselling all of our counsellors on staff are required to hold a Master’s degree and be certified/registered with a professional regulating body such as the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA), BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC), or the BC College of Social Workers. Sometimes we support the training of new professional counsellors by having a master’s of counselling intern on our team to complete their practicum placement. Our clients always have the choice to work with our intern or not. 


If you are an employee of one of our member companies, you and your eligible family members have access to no-cost counselling with us. Not sure? Give us a call, or talk to your manager or human resources for information on your Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).  


We hope this helped to clear the muddy waters on this issue. What other questions do you have about counsellors, or about how our services work? Just ask and we’d love to write another blog about it! Wishing you wellness.